Sunday 8 July 2018

Mixed Media Kit Canvas



Hello All,

I'm back with you today, this time with the Mixed Media kit from Tres Jolie Kits.
These mixed media kits are fantastic, within the kit is a whole project to complete from start to finish, all the 'mucky' products (as I like to call all the paints and mediums lol) and the final embellishments to create your own masterpiece!

This months kit included a paint brush!
It has been great seeing what the other DT members came up with as you will find out!
And I'm looking forward to seeing photos of what you guys create too!

I used the paint brush and the embellishments to create a canvas.

Here it is...




The kit came with a boxed set of Mixed Media essentials from Finnabair Art Basics range.
These included clear gesso, black and white gesso in 2FL.OZ tubes, a good amount of each.
I have used the clear and the white on this project.




The canvas had a base coat of the clear gesso over it before anything else and then a coat of white gesso to create a good background.
Next I used a doily stencil from Prima with some Texture paste ( from last months mixed media kit)
and 4 doily patterns over the canvas overlapping it off the edges of the canvas.


Next came the fun part with the PearlEx colours. We had 3 gorgeous colours in the kit and the Gum Arabic. The Gum Arabic is a binder medium, mixed with the PearlEx and water it creates transparent water colours. It says on the pot to mix 1 part gum to 4 parts pigment (PearlEx) this creates a strong colour, I used a little less pigment to get a slightly softer colour. 

Generally play around with amounts and strengths to get the colour and consistency that you want.
Over the spoon I used the gum and PearlEx but with not much water to get a thick consistency to sit in my spoon, the colour is stronger that way too.

I used the mixed watercolours over my canvas with a paint brush, one at a time allowing for some drying and using the palest colour first, building up a blended multi tonal effect. 



When dry I added another layer of white texture paste with a different stencil. This stood out nicely then against the coloured background.




Next step is to choose your main embellishments. Mine obviously is the paint brush but also I wanted to include the gorgeous little light bulbs and the spoon!
These I have all stuck on the canvas with a soft gel medium. I find this sticks anything to a canvas really well. Allow time for it stick completely but you can still work on it whilst it is drying.

Stick the brush to the canvas with the gel medium. Paint over the brush with the white gesso and allow to dry. I then used the watercolours again on the brush running them down from the top of the brush to get a dripped effect. 
When dry stick the spoon to the brush.




I used some of the Finnabair Mechanicals on the background too. Again these are stuck on with gel medium and then painted over with white gesso and the watercolours. I layered one up using the middle cut section of a doily from the main kit underneath it.




On top of the water coloured mechanicals I stuck the pretty little light bulbs ( I love these!)
At this point I switched to my hot glue gun to stick these embellishments. I set the bulbs on top of the Finnabair Mechanicals Wings and then decorated with flowers.




To finish the embellishment clusters off I did add some very pretty glass beads from my stash and a chippie word title painted in gesso and some pearls.




I used a sponge applicator to dab the tops of my flowers with white gesso and flicked some of the watercolours over the canvas to get a nice splattered effect.




I added some small detail with the microspheres from last months MM kit.
That's the nice thing about these kits, you end up with a great stash of products which can then be used on future projects too.




The PearlEx in the spoon has been added over some soft mat gel just to make sure the thicker PearlEx solution did stick and stay where I wanted it too.




Project like these are so easy because really anything goes. There is no right or wrong way and each piece created is unique and individual to the person and creation. Just have fun, be brave and go with the flow and experiment. You cant go wrong! 

Here is what you get in the Mixed Media Kit for July.
If you are interested in getting these kits then follow the link below for more information



You can find Tres Jolie on the following social media sites.







Hope you have enjoyed looking at my project today. 

Any questions please get in touch with us either here in the comments feed or on the Tres Jolie Club Café page and we will all be pleased to help you!

Ginny  :)






No comments:

Post a Comment