Friday 14 September 2018

The Tides Gone Out - Mixed Media Kit



Happy Friday!!!!

Today its the turn of the September Mixed Media Kit from Tres Jolie Kits!
And its a fantastic kit, especially as I have made a project relating to my favourite place …. the beach! My thoughts with this project was to create a piece of work titled 'The tides gone out'.





Below is the contents of the Mixed Media Kit, with this lovely wooden heart from Darice ready to alter.




  

The lovely yummy goodies included to get messy with are from Prima, I've wanted to use these for ages, the Art extravagance Texture Fantasy Northern Lights, and I wasn't disappointed!

I have used some extra mixed media products to create my textured background for the main kit products to be used on top off .


Here is a photo tutorial of my process in making this project.





I used some lattice chipboard pieces I had left over and painted them with a coat of gesso.




I very roughly painted the Darice Wooden heart so give it a shabby look. I really did splodge the paint on to give a very rough texture. When dry I added a couple pieces of roughly torn corrugated card. 




And the pieces of chipboard lattice.




These had a light coat of gesso. 
I then tied some string around the heart in two places and tied big loose bows. This is all to add texture and a little detail. Not all of this will show by the time we have finished... maybe only the bow bits.



Next I mixed the 3d balls and the micro seeds with some texture paste.




mixed together to create this....




Using a palette knife I then scraped this over some of the areas where I have been adding texture details.




After that I used another of my favourite products and that is Snow Tex, not just for snow effects!
I added this again with a palate knife and applied this quite lumpy so it dries with a raised look to it.




I allowed all this mixed media to dry before carrying on. The picket fence piece is wood and this was simply glued on. 




To give a beachy/ seaside feel I love to use this spongy moss. It adds depth and a natural look to the theme we are trying to create.




The flowers were added next, these blend in perfectly and remind me of the drifts of flowers I see near the coast in Pembrokeshire.




Then it was the turn of the shells! And what a selection of shells there are!
I loved going through these and adding them to the project. 
I tried to group them up and laid some on their sides so they looked like they were just laying how they had been left when the sea went out. 
I also added the glittery Art pebbles at this point too.




Now for the 'messy' bit as I like to call it!  :)
I put a small amount of each colour in my tray and started work with the darkest colour first.
The first colour I used as it was with no added water...…





….. and using a stipple brush I dabbed the colour over the texture places I wanted to start the colour. My idea here is that its puddles and ponds of sea left caught from the tides oing out in the pebbles and shells. 
Add a small amount, step back have a look and see where you want more, its completely choice as to how mad you go with these products, remember you will be calming it all down with the lighter colours on top in a minute.





Next do the same with the middle teal colour, using the stipple brush over the top of the dark blue.




I then gently spritzed this teal coloured layer with water to make it 'run' a little and then dried it with a heat gun.




The 3rd very pale blue colour I applied with a paint brush, over the other two colours.




When I had finished using the pale blue paste over the project I watered the remainder down to make a 'wash'




I used this 'wash' over the bare top part of the heart. 




Lastly I added a quote from one of the papers, cut out and edges distressed with the edges tipped with some of the pastes to blend into the background.

And there we go...… my finished project.



Here are some close ups of the finished project









Products used in this project:

Mixed Media Kit
* Darice - Wooden Pallet Heart
* Prima Art Extravagance Texture Fantasy - Northern Lights
* Prima Art Ingredients Melange - Vintage Art Pebbles
* I am Roses - mixed white flowers
* Darice - Natural Shells

From my stash
* Gesso - white
* Snow Tex
* Ranger Texture Paste
* Pentart 3d balls
* Brown Microbeads
* Soft Matt Gel
* Brown string
* Dusty attic Lattice Chipboard
* Corrugated cardboard
* Wooden Picket fence
* Sea Moss 




For details on subscribing to these monthly kits follow the link below.




Don't forget that Tres Jolie can be found in the following places:




Tres jolie website: http://tresjoliekits.com/




You Tube 



Thanks for popping by today,,

Happy creating!


Ginny  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment