Tuesday 27 June 2017

Steampunk and Fathers


The challenge for this months More Than Words challenge was  a 'challenging' one for a floral shabby chic girl like me!
The theme and word this month is Steampunk and Father.



The 'Father' part was easy. I chose this photo of me with my father on the Scotland / England border at Carter Bar.
The colours in the photo were then my inspiration for the steampunk mixed media masculine background.








With these pictures I will just show you some close ups of the items used in the layout.
These blue and grey cogs are a die set from a Joy! Crafts. I inked the edges with Black soot Distress Ink and finished of with a Tim Holtz Loop Pin.The anchor is from Blue Fern Studios and was firstly covered with Viva Inka Gold.




The Dusty Attic barbed wire was altered with Ten Seconds Verday Patina solution with the Verday Iron. This gives a great rusty look about the chipboard. I love these Tim Holtz trinket pins, this one has reacted to the mists I have used to create the colour reaction on it.  
Tucked behind the top of my photo and its layers is my journaling card.




The Dusty Attic chipboard cogs and gears cluster was covered with 2 products, some of the cogs had black soot ink rubbed over them and some had the Viva Inka Gold 'Old Gold'. The later gave the pieces a gorgeous golden metal look about them but was just to clean and new looking, they needed 'weathering'! This will be down to the mists again but I will tell you about those in a minute.




I used some chain from my stash to wrap around the top of the chippie chain. The Game spinner is again  from Tim Holtz.




The Blue Fern Studio chains were also altered with the Verday products.
The Tando Creative key was covered with the Viva Inka Gold.




I used a shaped torn piece of corrugated card in my background behind the photo , a great product for masculine layouts, it adds a great texture. I inked the edges again with the black soot ink.




I left the use of the mists till now......  the background paper is from 7 dots studio and I gave it a coat of clear gesso before the start to prepare it for all the misting.  I spritzed the design area with several different mists using colours taken from the photo, from the blues/green from the mountains behind to the rust colour in my coat. I let these mists run by tilting the paper and then dried with a heat gun after each colour application. I have listed them all in the products list but the main ones to mention here are the Cosmic shimmer mists, 'rich gold', which gave the orange rusty effect and then the 'Blue Lime', this is a fabulous product, it is essentially green but when sprayed onto certain surfaces reacts and turns to an electric blue colour! This mist reacted on the Verday and the Viva Inka Gold and on some of the other mists giving the whole piece a very natural weathered look that I couldn't have planned! I splattered these 2 mists over the completed layout again at the end.



I then finished off the by rubbing some French sage Artisan Powder over the edges of the photo layers, chipboard pieces and the paper die cuts.





The alpha tiles were cut out from a 7 Dots Studio paper, edges distressed and then stuck on with foam pads. You can also see the small bits of stamping done with black soot ink and the Finnabair Crackle effect stamp underneath the title. This was done over the design area before the misting.




Products used on this layout:


7 Dots Studio; Destination Unknown: under the stars
7 Dots Studio: destination Unknown: night sky
7 Dots Studio; Thoughts Keeper: No.3
Cosmic Shimmer Mist; rich Gold
Cosmic Shimmer Mist: Blue Lime
Prima Color Bloom: Tea Stain
Prima Color Bloom: Antique Gold
Perfect Pearls Mist: Blue Smoke
Prima Memory Hardware: Artisan Powder: French Sage
Tim Holtz: Idea-ology: Loop Pins
Tim Holtz: Idea-ology: Trinket Pins
Tim Holtz: Idea-ology: Game Spinners
Tim Holtz Distress Ink: Black Soot
Maya Road: Vintage Findings: Time Flies metal Charms
Chain
Joy! Crafts: Die: gears
Joy! Crafts: Corrugated card
Dusty Attic: chipboard: Birds on Barb Wire
Dusty Attic: chipboard: Cog Cluster
Blue fern Studio: chipboard: Anchors Away
Tando Creative: chipboard: Decorative Keys
Prima Finnabair: Small Clear stamp: Crackle
Ten Seconds: Verday Patina Solution
Ten Seconds: Verday Iron
Viva: Inka Gold; Old Gold
Clear gesso.


Thank you for stopping by today


Ginny  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment